Monday, August 1, 2011

So on and on I go, the seconds tick the time out, there's so much left to know, and I'm on the road to findout


When I'm not pseudo intellectualizing about the roadtrip like I did in the previous post, I have to admit its not all romantic roads. Sometimes you just want the road to end before you see the millionth pine tree. So without further ado, things that give me Road(trip) Rage:1. Bathroom Breaks: I set off for Duluth last week right after I downed my morning coffee and a glass of water. Although the caffeine made sure I stayed on the bumpy roads, it also meant I couldn't wait to get off the road by the time I got to Duluth. Ironically, I had to pay for a latte at Caribou Coffee just to use their bathroom.

2. Charming Locals: While waiting for the light to change on a street corner in downtown, I got hit on. The guy used a very 1990s "Friends" era come-on, "How are you doing?" When I ignored him, he said, "Man, the girls in this town are so stuck up!" Ladies of Duluth, you deserve better.

3. Bad Advertising: I have a vigilante complex for saving and shopping at indie bookshops. So when I googled things to do in Duluth and found Northern Lights Bookstore, I decided to scope it out. Turns out, I was too late. The new pizzeria I parked by had replaced it. Apparently, even pepperoni can outsell Edward Cullen.


4. Pine Trees: I used to love pine trees. They were one of the things I missed most about home when in Scotland. However, when you spend 2 hours plus traffic staring at only pine trees, you start to hate nature a little bit. You start to look forward to the towns where they're mysteriously burnt out. I started counting the number of pro-life billboards on the way back down for something else to look at. There were NINE!



5. Cryptic Signage: See if you can figure this one out- a portion of the highway was donated by the "Upper Midwest Pagan Alliance." I bet the Boy Scouts are miffed that the local witches fixed up the highway before they did.

I still love roadtrips though and highly recommend you take one if you want to pretend to be Jack Kerouac or just love pinetrees.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaahaha!! Omg, you are cracking me up over here!! I can't believe that you counted 9 pro-life billboards! wtf!!

    I am also dying because I was watching friends last night and now I can only picture Joey hanging out outside your car, asking you to go for a sandwich, hehe :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your pictures - seems like an ideal road trip destination

    if you get the chance to go to Morocco - do it! you wont regret it!

    ReplyDelete